Pages

Monday, February 15, 2016

Snowblind

    With a finished dress, a fresh shortage of valid excuses against it, and an incipient winter storm threatening to turn the current winter wonderland a little too winter wonderlandy, it became apparent that it was time to quit dragging my feet and actually take a few photographs of my very first Intaglio (the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink version). Without further ado, here is its debut!



 

     This dress is so heavy! I used a thick wool tweed lined with a grass green corduroy, and somewhere along the way I'm pretty sure it went from being a dress to being a winter coat just pretending to be a dress. Good thing it has that side closure, or I would never have been able to tunnel into it!


     Unfortunately, the sleeves crept up my arms during this shoot without my noticing- it's a shame, because I actually quite like the fit of these sleeves (how am I only just now learning how wonderful forearm darts are?) and at full length they do hit right at the wrist.


Oh look, feet.



      I didn't make any significant fit adjustments to the pattern for this dress, since I wanted to be sure that everything fits together correctly before I start modifying it for myself. And almost surprisingly, it does! There were no mismatched seam lengths when assembling the shell and the lining, despite the radically different fabrics; in fact for the most part the whole construction came together in a way that was nicely intuitive and uncomplicated (helpful, since the instructions were so sparse). Of course, I began by trying to make the curved yokes fit together the...challenging way, but it came out all right, and the 'Eureka!' moment after the fact will save a lot of grief in later versions.


Hands officially cold now.


      Overall, making this dress really did feel like a connection to the past. I couldn't help wondering when it was last made, who they were, and if they also initially tried to treat the yokes like giant sleeves in need of easing (and subsequently wanted to throw things).

More to come once the next version is underway!

No comments:

Post a Comment